Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgo6614 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member M1 Carbine
    Posted: May 11 2023 at 4:01pm

Greetings all from a new member.  Let me start off by saying that your website is informative and very detailed.  I learned a lot in the last few days.  He is my story.

I am not a collector, but I do have years of experience with firearms. Air Force vet and 25 years in Law Enforcement as a firearms instructor.  Recently, a friend of mine came across 2 M-1 Carbines while cleaning out his parents house.  He offered me one, no charge.  I do not feel comfortable taking one without properly reimbursing him.  So the deal we came to is that I would research the value and pay him a fair amount, minus a small friends and family discount. Wink

My question for the group is: the M-1 that I have, is it authentic or a reproduction/fake?  Also, what is a fair value for it?  I’m leaning towards it being a reproduction, but I want to make sure so I do not pay my friend less than it’s worth.  Some of my concerns are that it is in very good condition and the inspection stamp.

Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.  I plan on presenting this to my son upon his commissioning after OCS. He is currently in Army BCT at Ft. Leonard Wood.

Link to photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OG_DxBgiCuXTuEpx1GbXvH9i-J_JCirC?usp=share_link

Data Sheet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bEdB7gbkXgcPshwDecq8SHtLXga2HRhI/view?usp=share_link

Thank you in advance,
Derek

Edited by New2brass - May 11 2023 at 5:07pm
dgo6614 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgo6614 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 4:09pm
I thin there is an issue with my link.  This one should be correct:
Mike in NC View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 4:36pm
The carbine is "real", but not original as manufactured. The apparent serial number may be quite a bit later than I would expect for a 12-42 WRA barrel. I may be reading the serial number. Looks to be a mixmaster upgrade with the bayonet lug barrel band, adjustable rear sight, and late trigger housing parts. The I-cut highwood stock with the WRA over GHD in large box is also earlier part than I would expect for this apparent serial number. At first glance, the stock looks good and is worth quite a bit of change, but may be too early for this serial number. For these mizmasters, value is generally the total of the individual parts. Probably at least $2,300 worth of parts.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 5:05pm
that receiver went through the finishing shop mid April 1943 (CCNL 337-5)
that is only 3 -4 months from when the barrel was made, so possible first in last out.

DGO, are you planning on shooting it? The receiver is what we call a type one, and they are prone to cracking between the hole the spring tube tab goes in and the slide hold back hole.

With the early receiver and dated barrel it has some value, that stock is also of value.

From the little I can see of the bolt it may be Winchester, should have a W on the large lug.

Nice Carbine!

To add, your receiver also has the spring tube locating indent. This was stopped at some point.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 7:12pm
I know you were looking for an estimate of the value. That is a little harder to pinpoint. It is an arsenal rebuild which does lower the value a bit. But on the other hand it is a Winchester which pushes the value back up a bit. Without a good overall picture showing the general condition of the entire carbine, we are guestimating the actual condition from available photos. In today's market I would have to put it in a range from $1300 to $1500. Others may have a different opinion. But that would be a typical range for where I live.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 7:16pm
My 2 cents:  That is a great GI carbine!  Stock and barrel alone are worth a pretty penny.  T1 Winchester stocks in that condition are like hen’s teeth. As long as that very early barrel does not have an import mark and is otherwise good….also hen’s teeth.

Agree with Mike that the barrel is a bit earlier than would be an obvious fit for that s/n, but like Dan said…it’s not crazy earlier.  It is still in a reasonable window to be a “sure could be” the original barrel. Usually on a “not at all likely” is to see a much later dated barrel on an earlier receiver. That just screams that it was replaced by an arsenal rebuild, etc.

So, with that being said, you have the big stuff of a “correct” early Winchester carbine, though no longer original as manufactured. It went through a rebuild and may have likely been refinished, adjustable sight added, T3 bayonet band added, post-war or replacement front sight, and a mix master incorrect trigger housing that was also updated.

If you were going to go buy that today, as is….probably like Mike said…in neighborhood of $2300  It is worth quite a bit more than your average mixmaster rebuilt carbine because it is an early WRA receiver, early barrel, and really really nice T1 WRA stock.
Chad
USN Retired
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 7:28pm
you have a rare unmucked with arsenal rebuilt winchester mixmaster with valuable furniture--your free gun will get expensive-your desirable parts are receiver, barrel and stock with stock being worth the most--I would give you 500 plus a arsenal marked stock for your stock-if you need to cheapen your purchase -you should be smiling--one of these days the pure rebuilds may be worth more than a restored one
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 7:54pm
If you are wondering why there is such a difference in valuation between what I posted and what these others have posted it is simple. Parts to put together a carbine will nearly always add up to more than you can get for the complete carbine. That is why it almost always costs more to correctly restore a carbine than you paid for it in the first place. Finding and purchasing correct parts is a challenge and gets expensive in a hurry. For example, the correct rear sight for that carbine could easily sell for $150. A correct barrel band could cost $150-$200. You can see why the parts are usually worth more than the whole carbine! Go figure.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 8:19pm
Agree.  I almost bought a mixmaster carbine a couple months ago just so I could get the beautiful T1 stock. Now, I kick myself for not.

The complete carbine was $1600. The stock was worth…if I had to find the same one from an individual…probably $800.  It was early, great marks, great original patina, and pristine.

I could have put a nice M2 stock that I already have on the mixmaster and sold it for a $1,400 -  $1500’ish price.  It was a mixmaster, but not a piece of junk. It was a great serviceable carbine….it just would have no longer had the $800 furniture that was put on the carbine at some point after the war.

So like was said earlier….the larger value potential is often in the sum of the parts, but whole carbines are not usually priced like that….but collectors and hard core enthusiasts who restore or correct the rebuilt mixmaster carbines often see them that way.
Chad
USN Retired
dgo6614 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgo6614 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 7:04am
Thank you all for your quick and knowledgeable responses.  It is very much appreciated.

Overall it is in very good condition.  Very few blemishes on the stock.  The only ones I see is some darkening from the strap on the upper left side and what I would call "rack marks" on the under side of the upper stock.  The bolt has the wear I would expect from a good amount of use, but the rest of the receiver, barrel, slide and trigger group have very little wear.  In fact, the trigger group looks almost brand new.  I read somewhere that some of these M1's were sandblasted during the rebuild process.  If that's true, it's a shame.  Really takes away that nice patina.

I have 2 additional follow-up questions.
  • There is no slide stop spring.  Is this normal or did it get lost somewhere along the way. (Probably me when I field stripped it the first time Cry )  Everything seems to be in working order.
  • On the under side of the grip is the "Circle P" that I would expect to see, but under that is a small "F".  Anyone have an idea what this means?  Could that be a fail mark after the rebuild process?
Thank you all again,

Derek
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 10:19am
Derek, no not normal to be missing the slide stop spring, are you sure it is not stuck in the hole in the slide if not look around your work area. 
The F on the bottom of the grip is likely just a random inspection mark.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
dgo6614 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgo6614 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 8:00pm
Thank you Wayne. Much appreciated!

Derek
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 9:46am
The small letters on the bottom of the grip were first observed on the NRA or DCM sales. They are not from WW2 production.
Most likely done at the facility storing them.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:08pm
Derek,
If you can't find the Slide Stop Spring, Fulton Armory and Amherst Military Depot both carry them for about ~$2.00.

Welcome and Thx for sharing the Carbine.

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
HARLEY08 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARLEY08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 4:04pm
How much do you want for your Winchester Carbine?
Do you have any other M1 Carbines for sale
fxstbharley2008@yahoo.com
M1DB
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 5:11pm
@HARLEY08, 
No where in this thread did anyone say they are selling a Carbine the OP stated that he was going to present this Carbine to his son.
Originally posted by dgo6614 dgo6614 wrote:

I plan on presenting this to my son upon his commissioning after OCS. He is currently in Army BCT at Ft. Leonard Wood.

If you are interested in buying some carbines, suggest that you check out the For Sale section of the Forum as there are many for sale from the Larry Ruth collection.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
HARLEY08 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARLEY08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 12:44pm
It never hurts to ask!
I am looking for 
original M1 Carbines
fxstbharley2008@yahoo.com
M1DB
 Post Reply Post Reply