Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gunbroker Auction Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gunbroker Auction Discussion
    Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 9:57am
Saw this completed auction on Gunbroker titled "Rare Early WWII Inland 4-digit M1 Carbine c. 12-42". Carbine sold for $3500 and only two people bid on it. Does anyone want to comment on the problems with this carbine?

Gunbroker 4 digit auction
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 12:05pm
Where does one start? Fake parts, horrible restoration, wrong period of parts usage are all problems with it. As far as the seller goes, their reputation has been discussed many time over on various forums. At first the sellers defended their carbines, but after someone posted some photos of the seller's carbines from a previous auction (not GunBroker) that showed what their carbines used to look like they disappeared.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 12:12pm
Looks like the remnants of some kind of boxed stamp on the right side of the stock.  Possibly RIA EB?
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 12:42pm
I added a link. Must of forgotten it. Wasn't aware of the seller's rep.
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 12:42pm
What I find really odd, out side of the obvious, is the time from the auction ending and the positive feed back being left for the buyer, being less than 40 hours. But, then no feed back has been left for the seller? May have been just running up the bid??
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2016 at 1:20pm
I forgot to mention that this is also the buyers first feed back.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2016 at 10:47pm
This is the place they have been selling these Carbines. Just click one and take a gander at there descriptions. They always show close ups of every part from almost all angles. This is where I seen the Trident and N marked Triggers on there NPM Carbines. They did say not to long ago when they were sold out they were fixing to add more, I guess they were refinishing them. They or known to use unfinished Walnut stocks from Boyds and do there refinishing just like DGR does.

http://www.newmarketarms.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_keywords=1&plural=1&s=1&keywords=M1+Carbine&OBNsid=de5cc237d365dbcc613d6d81917b986b

Frank

oldpilot2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpilot2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 2:33pm
As a fairly new collector (about 4 years), and firm believer in original authentic pieces, it would be very helpful if specifics could be given for this particular post. The detailed pictures, when put with information on what is reproduction and what should be seen, would be a tremendous learning tool for me and others like me and help expose fraud or misinformation. While the carbines might be the least expensive and easy to acquire for WWII period long guns they are probably the hardest to accurately assess for original authentic because of so many different manufacturers all co mingled within a short time period. I now have several and I haven't changed anything on any of them yet until I get a better understanding of the details on what could be possible for the various parts. I don't mind so much that the wrong period part is installed but I really have a distaste for reproduction. That is getting harder and harder to identify for certain. I have the books and have done my homework, but nothing beats experience. I especially like the books by J.C. Harrison and Craig Riesch. But it would sure be nice of the experts out there would impart some of their knowledge. I am always looking to learn more.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 3:11pm
It's kinda of a no no to discuss out loud on forums unless it is well known what is Fake as the Humpers lurk on forums for details to see what they have to do to fix there fake parts to make it harder for people to see and determine if what there selling is real or not. So many new people buy Fake parts, so if you really want to know what is real, post a picture of it and ask and you will get people saying if it's real or not without going into a lot of details. We have to do our part to try to weed them out without giving them full details so they can make it harder for all of us to tell. The seasoned Collector will know right away and still if you PM him and he doesn't know you well it's hard for them to go into details cause like I mention above these people will do anything to get information.IMHO
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 3:39pm
I did not bother reading through his description as I have seen his creative auctions before. I did not bother looking at springs or pins

Barrel seems to late for serial. also has punch mark?  Stock is for a later Inland as is the recoil plate. It looks to me like it wore a type 2 or 3 band.
type one extractor with later plunger not recommended, plausible? I would not expect to see that firing pin this serial range.

TH finish inconsistent, the sear is from second block?

Being that I have not handled enough of the following I will let others comment on them
Rear sight, Barrel band and that hammer that has the most excellent marking I have seen on an H in shield
Sling? I have a doubt.

Again, did not bother with description so I have no idea if the seller even claimed anything to be original or put together.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 3:44pm
RE: auctions. I think a post game show is very educational. Just the same I think it would be bad form to ask a question on a live auction unless you know for a fact that its humped.
There are many here who have done their homework and searched day in and day out looking for something for their collection. Then if pointed out it brings attention to that auction and possibly costing that member in a higher price paid or loss to someone else.

We are here as collectors, amongst collectors.

Lets see how the group wishes to handle it.
oldpilot2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpilot2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 6:13pm
I understand. Thanks.

I just picked up an IBM that had been refinished. It looked like it had been reparkerized  but with good color, not black and it was uniform looking in all the right parts. The only parts that had oil on them were in the bolt. The parts that should have been blued were correct. All the parts were marked with correct IBM stamps except for a couple. The flip sight was Quality Hardware I believe and the firing pin was Standard products. According to the lateral support the firing pin could be correct. But when I first saw the rifle I could tell the wood had been reworked and in my opinion the it had been restamped. They were too fresh. It had a reproduction sling and who knew what else was repro. The color of the wood wasn't right either. It looked like it had been stained slightly and never finished. So I took it all down and checked to see what was there. When I realized it was all IBM and looked good, I thought someone had just did a rebuild. So I wiped it down with mineral spirits and gave it three good coats of BLO. Buffed it and put a coat of stock finish on it. I oiled it up and now I'm not sure what I have. I was going to just sell it or trade it but now I think I might just buy a stock for it if that's the only repro thing about it. If I post pictures can I get some feedback?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2016 at 6:23pm
I would post it in its own thread, but yes, thats why we are all here1
GeorgeP View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 4:19pm
I have a four digit inland that is restored. The number is about 600 ahead of this example . I believe the barrel to be original to the receiver. It is dated 6-42 and the example in the auction is 12-42. I believe this way to late to be the original barrel. I read through the description some and he seems to call all the parts out as "correct" and no reference as to being original.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2016 at 9:32am
I think this one would be good discussion for those learning about carbines
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=543282329
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2016 at 9:40am
When did this one come out. There is another I cut High Wood Quality Hardware I saw this weekend. I was bidding on 2 Carbines and won 1. The other Q H the guy want 1950.00 after it didn't sell, but there was a couple of things that didn't look right.
Frank

Post Reply Post Reply