The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello From New Mexico

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmCollector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello From New Mexico
    Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 9:40am
Glad to be part of the forum.  I already learned something new - Ignore my "U.S. Military Markings 1900 to 1965" book by Jesse C. Harrison.  Given that it is unreliable for M1 Carbines I suspect it is generally unreliable for all.  Would that be correct?

I am recently retired from what many call a career in IT.  However, I am not really and IT guy.  My 40 + years of experience has been as an application developer mostly at the enterprise level.  I relied on the IT guys to provide me with the infrastructure to develop and deploy applications for end users.  I could not have done my work without the IT guys.  Unfortunately, many think that because I am a software developer I am an IT expert which is not true!

As with many people my age I grew up with firearms.  Not as collectible items but as tools.  I only started collecting in the early 90's after an off-road motorcycle accident (my fault) laid me up for a few months.  I sold my bike and purchased firearms as an investment with the intent of selling them to buy another bike after I healed.  It was a ploy to keep my wife from finding a better use for the money.  :)

It was a great time for buying surplus firearms despite the fact that many "old timers" said the prices were too high.  Now I sound like those old timers!  If only the prices were the same now.

After I healed I kept the firearms and began purchasing a few more over the years.  About the time I started collecting heard about the DCM (now CMP) and went through the qualification process to purchase my once in a lifetime M1 Garand for around $250.00 (I do not remember the exact price).  Later the CMP offered M1 Carbines and I purchased as many as I could afford (which, unfortunately, was not many).

Other than building a "Navy M1 Garand Rifle" from the barreled receiver I purchased from the CMP for my own personal use, I do not alter or "restore" my collectible firearms in any way.  Not even mix-masters.  Mostly because I figure what I have is historical as is.  However, I have been entertaining the thought of returning one of my post WWII CMP mixmaster M1 Carbines back to it's original WWII configuration.  By that I mean the proper WWII configuration but not necessarily it's factory new configuration.  The intent is to have one for my own personal use, not to sell as an original, that would be representative of the WWII configuration.

I did the very same thing for an old WWII GPW that I purchased from a rancher in northern New Mexico who's family purchased it surplus and used if for ranching and hunting.  I replaced post WWII components (like the post WWII engine) with WWII components that you might have found in the "motor pool" at the time.  In fact, many people call it a "motor pool restoration."  Here are some pictures of it -  https://www.nmcollector.net/gpw - these pictures are not the latest so there are still some post WWII modifications in the engine compartment (like the air filter which I have since replaced) and some missing dashboard components.  It is still a work in progress. 

So, I look forward to learning from others who are more experienced than I am.

Sincerely,

Clay Pryor

nmCollector.net LLC
www.nmcollector.net
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 10:25am
Welcome to the forum!  Nice GPW, I'm hoping to get one sooner or later. Lol.
nmCollector View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmCollector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Durango56 Durango56 wrote:

Welcome to the forum!  Nice GPW, I'm hoping to get one sooner or later. Lol.

Thanks.  You should have seen the GPW when I bought it.  "Roll bar" welded on the body, body welded to frame, rusted back floorboards, etc.  My wife and son scoffed at me - they could not imagine that it was "restorable."  Many years in elapsed time, many hours in labor, and many hundreds of dollars later, we now have this.  My son grew up and left home during the restoration process.

Now that it is "restored" my wife loves it.  She likes to put Christmas lights on it and drive it around the neighborhood at night this time of year.  Good thing we have relatively mild weather because, as you can see, it has no cab and no heater.

:)

nmCollector.net LLC
www.nmcollector.net
 Post Reply Post Reply