The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keep your ammo cans dry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keep your ammo cans dry
    Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 6:21pm
I'm sure many of you know about this but some may not. Tho't I'd share.
Silica Gel is a drying agent and is commonly used as a desiccant in those little packets you find in shoe boxes and other merchandise items. Many kitty litters are made of silica gel and can be purchased cheaply at Walmart and other stores. 5-8 pounds of the stuff should cost you only a few dollars. See this website for more info.
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/desiccant-cat-litter.html 

Using a standard coffee filter, a desiccant bag can be made for many uses. I use them in each of my ammo cans. Other uses can easily be imagined.

Start with a filter.

Get a quantity of kitty litter silica gel. Mine has some odor absorbing blue crystals in it.

Just add to open filter

Fold it over however you want

Tape it closed

Is ready for your ammo can. They have served me well.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 8:23am
I have not seen this.  I have only seen the "oil soak" clay type litter.   I wonder how to figure the amount of litter needed for a given storage volume?   I use the Hydrosorbent 40 gram Desiccant Silica Gel Aluminum Canister in my ammo cans.  Ad says they are good for 3 cu ft and they have the pink dot to know when to throw them in the oven.  If its the same stuff then 40 grams per 3 cu ft?  

Your method would be especially good for any one time use or really long term air-tight storage where you didn't want to invest in the canisters.  I'll definitely keep this in mind.  Thanks for sharing.  
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 8:56am
I don't know about the quantity. But 40 grams seems a little high based on those little packs that  businesses put in their product packaging. Those little packs can't be more than a couple grams. but then, maybe they are not sufficient in the first place. 
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 9:53am
How often do you change them?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 10:42am
Hardly never do. I figure once in a sealed can, atmosphere is stabilized. If I'm in and out often, will refresh occasionally. Might be the wrong approach, but don't have any data to verify right or wrong.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 1:31pm
I have heard of this before but a minor observation. If you roll it as shown the moisture has to be absorbed through several layers of filter. Making less folds increases surface area which may be better.

My experience with some "Drying agents" that are used in boat storage on the market which pull moisture but then let it go along with some of the salts in the chemical. I would advise against them. I believe the ingredient is calcium chloride.

There has long been color changing desiccants on the market. The advantage is that you know when to change, plus they can be rejuvenated and reused several times.

these contain cobalt chloride which may pose health or environmental issues, so use all appropriate cautions

If you have a cat and buy this kitty litter it is a no brainer. If no cat I would stick to the commercial packs for a few bucks more. Most would never use them all up!

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 4:02pm
Good advice Dan. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply