Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 garand price

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 garand price
    Posted: May 03 2017 at 3:57pm
What would the average H&R m1 garand field grade go for? I know it's one of those hard to answer, depends question but what's the lowest one would run? I have the chance to grab one for $700 and I can't see it for a couple days but I was thinking at 700 is hard to refuse
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 4:37pm
The lowest I've seen a Garand go lately was around the $700 mark on the CMP forum.  I don't remember if it was Springfield or HRA.   It sold quick.

There's several CMP sold Service Grade HRAs on the CMP forum with an asking $1050 to $1150.  If the one you're looking at is in decent shape and ready to shoot then $700 sounds like a pretty good deal.  Will the seller give you a few days non-firing inspection period for a return or at least give you time to study up on it and answer any questions?  Any chance it came from the CMP with a cert?

BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 5:29pm
A year ago, I believe "luck of the draw" field grade Garands from CMP went for $630. I think values have moved up a bit since supply has temporarily (?) dried up.  There are rumors floating around that a whole bunch are waiting to be repatriated from the Philippians and maybe Korea which could change that dynamic. That being said, I think $700 is a fair price. I'd even be willing to go a bit higher if it had GI wood with the correct cartouches. H & R s are all post -WW II...my preference would be either a Springfield with a serial number below 3,000,000 or a Winchester below 2,400,000 (June 1944 or earlier) that could well have seen action in WW II. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 8:07pm
Same here, a Winch or Springfield would be ideal but there is value in an H&R. Might be a little more, probably won't be less. Not sure what the book value says if one is inclined to believe such things.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 8:32pm
At $700, don't hesitate.

If the Filipino Garands come in, I think they won't last very long at all. The Korean Garands would probably quell the market for a while, but the market for Garands, let alone Carbines is white hot.

At the NRA Convention in Louisville last May, a well known expert on Garands predicted the CMP supply of them would last another 14 months. I received one of the last ones in late September. They were out of them by the time I received mine.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 9:01pm
If you are interested in the CMP sales then it's a good idea to get all the "requirements" out of the way and have an active account for when they become available.  Also the 1911s are still being discussed and there's lots of fingers crossed.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 7:48am
The 1911s...Yes, my fingers are crossed.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 11:14am
Watch for a welded receiver. Saw an IHC Saturday for $1100. Then someone noticed the welding. Priced at $800 now. The owner intends to shoot a clip through it before selling. He didn't know it was welded. Also saw a 're-weld' Carbine for $600. It had a type II Winchester barrel band on a commercial barrel.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Watch for a welded receiver. Saw an IHC Saturday for $1100. Then someone noticed the welding. Priced at $800 now. The owner intends to shoot a clip through it before selling. He didn't know it was welded. Also saw a 're-weld' Carbine for $600. It had a type II Winchester barrel band on a commercial barrel.

Good warning!  I was aware of the 1903s drill rifles but don't recall much about the Garands and carbines.  Are there any descriptions, or even better some pictures, of what these welded repairs/modifications look like?

Thanks
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 1:45pm
Ok thanks for all the info. Found out it was import stamped, CIA.   So prob going to pass.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 5:40pm
Being import stamped does not automatically make it a bad deal. I have an import stamped Winchester that my father purchased in the 1980's, and it's a nice Garand.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 6:21pm
As I understand, most all the Garands (and carbines when available) are pretty much returned from a foreign loan.  If from the military through the CMP they don't get import marked.  If through an importer then they are required to identify them as such.   I think the main drawback are the importer's stamp which kind of takes away from the overall appearance but usually this also results in a lower price.  In either case these rifles have served their time and are coming home. 
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 7:06pm
It's a HRA serial 5,5... with CIA import stamp on barrel.   Worth $700?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 7:20pm
If it doesn't have any major issues, yes, it is worth $700.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 7:59pm
Mr. Albert has summed it up well.  What does the seller say about how it shoots?  Also see if you can get the MW and TE readings.   
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 7:59pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Good warning!  I was aware of the 1903s drill rifles but don't recall much about the Garands and carbines.  Are there any descriptions, or even better some pictures, of what these welded repairs/modifications look like?

Thanks

I don't have any pics handy.
When they're in a stock like at a show where these were, it's difficult to tell. You might see some odd grinding in places you usually don't see it. When removed from the stock it becomes pretty obvious. Discoloration and voids are always present. Both of these were well done and refinished. The coloration still shows through.

The Carbine I saw was carried by a regular attendee who always carries long guns for sale. This Carbine he refused to break down at the show and was willing to deal down when he usually holds firm. So it was a tell something was wrong inside like a broken trigger lug leg. Then you could see some of the grinding at the lip that's forward of the bolt.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 8:08am
I think if you're patient, you may have another opportunity to buy a "luck of the draw" from CMP.  If  from CMP, you'll have an honest rifle as described, the price will be right, and your money will help support a great organization. I received two service grade Springfields from CMP (an October '42 and a May '45)...I'm very happy with both. The '42 has a '55 barrel...the '45 could possibly be all original. Both are excellent shooters. The other fun thing about buying "luck of the draw" from CMP is the anticipation, and when the box arrives...it's like Christmas morning.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 9:02am
Yeah I looked into the cmp sales pretty confusing how that all works. I see how you have to register as a "customer " but from what I can tell the second any Garands are listed they are gone. I email them to see if they could explain the process better but got a vague response of there's not a waiting list. But then I see guys posting how they are on a list?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 12:50pm
I saw a discussion in one of the CMP forums rumoring there is around 1500 on backorder.   If that's the case I suspect not having a waiting list is they aren't taking any new orders, i.e. back order/waiting list until they get these knocked down.   My experience from the IHC sales is they end up over selling the available stock but have a good idea of what's still to come.  Being decent folks they place you on a back order, or at least that was my experience a couple years ago with the IHCs.  I'm fairly certain they know what's still in inventory but they have yet to go through them with the inspections and grading.  Once they do they'll post them on the rifle sales page again if they have sufficient inventory.  If they are getting low they may only have drawings like the IHCs and carbines.   I know my first CMP Garand I ordered from the rifle sales page and it was a 3-6 month waiting time and then another was like a couple days after my order arrived in Anniston.  It can be a wild ride with them.  

Did you sign up for their newsletter?  That's how you get notified for the special sales, like the IHCs and carbines, and ammo.  They may also provide sales updates for the Garands since they are getting lots of questions.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>