Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My early Inland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cz_315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My early Inland
    Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 5:05pm
This is from the recent PW imports. Not fully correct, but close. Here it is for your critique. The pics are from the dealer, I haven't really gotten a chance to do a nice photo session this rifle deserves. 

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 5:17pm
Looks very promising!
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 5:39pm
Looks very good to me!

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 5:41pm
Welcome to the Forum from New Mexico!

Anxious to see more pictures. BTW, it looks like the gas cylinder nut has backed out quite a bit. You may want to check it before shooting.
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 5:46pm
Looks like it is loaded with some pretty good early parts. Also curious as to why the piston nut is screwed out so far, hope that is not an indication that the cylinder is stripped. Sling swivel needs turned around.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 8:47am
Looks like a nice early Inland, off hand I think the rear sight may not be original, need better pictures. There are indications it is not. I haven't seen any of the PW arms imports with original flip sights.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 9:49am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

I haven't seen any of the PW arms imports with original flip sights.

+1
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 9:53am
Is there a second marking in the slingwell to the right of the OI where it slopes down?

One of those interesting buttplates that seem to come from Italy. 

scroll to buttplates in foreign service

Edited by New2brass - Apr 18 2022 at 10:15am
Cz_315 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cz_315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 1:46pm
Added few more pics of the rear sight and the piston area. Good call on the nut, I didn't notice it was loose. It came out very easily, someone must have played with it. The threads look ok, but it doesn't seem to go in all the way easily and I won't force the matter further until I investigate more. 

Also the slide seems to be early Winchester based on my limited research. Maybe they were trying to correct it? It seemed to have remnant of the grease the rest of the carbine didn't have. 

Since we are on the subject of the rear sight, what do you think about this one? https://ibb.co/album/S4v4Q5 This one came from the Goat pile, I bought from them before I knew better. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Cz_315 Cz_315 wrote:

Since we are on the subject of the rear sight, what do you think about this one? 

Nothing at all wrong with that rear sight on your 6 digit, not sure about the one on your 4 digit.

Edited by W5USMC - Apr 18 2022 at 2:15pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 2:13pm
The sight on the 4-digit looks fake. The milling marks on the side are the give away to me. All the repro/fake sights from that particular maker have them regardless of the manufacturer markings they apply.
Cz_315 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cz_315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 3:00pm
That's too bad, one of these rear case when RTI did better than a very respectable dealer. Actually that 6-digit looked all correct to me except for the IP buttplate (I can live with that :) and handguard.  

Nothing in the well apart from IO, so it's not a very early one. I did find a nice correct (I think) O with a flaming bomb ones. 
Cz_315 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cz_315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 3:12pm
The absence of a big stake mark on the 4-digit carbine sight (I see them on the other ones from that PW pile) fooled me.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2022 at 4:25pm
Thanks for the additional photos of the rear sight. Definitely a repo. Not all dovetails were staked when replacing the rear sight with an adjustable, if that's the case you're lucky. Or maybe they are light and hidden under the flip sight. It's still a nice 4 digit and there are legit flip sights that show up from time to time that would do it right.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Cz_315 Cz_315 wrote:

That's too bad, one of these rear case when RTI did better than a very respectable dealer. 

if you dont mind me asking, what was the dealer?

And did you snag the PW from Midway, or does someone else also have/had them?
Cz_315 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cz_315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 5:17pm
It came from Dan. He had quite a few he cherry picked from that pile. Apparently several dealers got first dibs before Midway got the most of it. I doubt he would play with it himself, but maybe he got it from someone else. I also got a Winchester and an Irwin-Pedersen from him.  
Cz_315 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cz_315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 5:18pm
Dan as in Dan's Ammo
 Post Reply Post Reply