Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My NPM Bavarian and my commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My NPM Bavarian and my commercial
    Posted: Jan 01 2023 at 8:45pm
I have a 1943 NPM, Bavarian Carbine that my Dad traded for in 1969 and because it was an oddball (many carbines had passed through our hands) I asked him to keep it and he did. Since it has been hardly fired, I decided in 2017 to get a new one to plink with instead of the USGI.

I bought an Auto Ordnance carbine and the luck of the draw favored me, as the walnut stock looks like a tiger stripe and the serial number is (letter) 1776. I had to add a USGI magazine catch to get it to feed all the magazines I have but other than that, it runs great and it makes a great plinker! The top is the NPM and the bottom is the Auto Ordnance.

crowtalks
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2023 at 9:07pm
Tell us more about the NPM, what are the Bavarian markings? 
Agree pretty neat looking stock on the Auto Ordnance.
Just a suggestion, turn your slings around, snap end of the sling should be on the forward sling swivel, running end should be around the oiler.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2023 at 9:19pm
The Bavarian stamp was ground off the receiver, though you can still make out faint characters in the right light and it still retains the weirdo sight in the front of the receiver that the Germans added. It also has the rose tinted trigger assembly that I was told was because of the higher heat the Europeans used when they refinished the gun.

Thanks heaps for the sling tip.

My Dad used a Carbine in the Pacific in WWII, so there was always at least one in the cabinet growing up.

I have detailed pics from research and help from years ago, (I may have posted them here in the past) so if you desire more, I can dig them out.
crowtalks
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2023 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by crowtalks crowtalks wrote:

I have detailed pics from research and help from years ago, (I may have posted them here in the past) so if you desire more, I can dig them out. 

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2023 at 10:52pm
Thanks for finding the links!
crowtalks
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2023 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Originally posted by crowtalks crowtalks wrote:

I am on the lookout for a NPM/Trimble stock for my M1. I seem to find them just after they have sold, sometimes within days.

I'm not sure I would swap the furniture out, but I want a correct stock, nevertheless.

So a curiosity question is...if it were yours, would you swap it out to correct furniture, or leave it as it is?
crowtalks
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2023 at 6:20pm
Well, my .04 (I already gave .02 in the earlier one a couple years ago)... There's really no point in "correcting" a Bavarian. They are unique in the way they were modified, refinished, and marked during service which speaks to their history. The value (as I see it) is keeping all that together as it was. It's really neat when the stocks have the last 4 of the serial stamped in the sling well, yours doesn't but still has some kind of agency marking.
Of course, it's up to you, this is my philosophy on Bavarians and what I look for when I'm evaluating one.

crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2023 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Well, my .04 (I already gave .02 in the earlier one a couple years ago)... There's really no point in "correcting" a Bavarian. They are unique in the way they were modified, refinished, and marked during service which speaks to their history. The value (as I see it) is keeping all that together as it was. It's really neat when the stocks have the last 4 of the serial stamped in the sling well, yours doesn't but still has some kind of agency marking.
Of course, it's up to you, this is my philosophy on Bavarians and what I look for when I'm evaluating one.

Thanks for the info, I was, and have been, leaning toward keeping as is, as it is pretty unique in the M1 Carbine world. I'm still wanting to find a decent deal on a Tribble stock...just because...

Thanks for taking the time to share your insights and replying!
crowtalks
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2023 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

When I posted these two carbines here, I had completely forgotten I had placed a couple of detailed post about the Bavarian Carbine a few years ago (short term memory is shot).

Not only had I posted in the past, I looked back and realized (after your response) that I had asked the same question three or four years ago...weird...
crowtalks
 Post Reply Post Reply