Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New baby for the new year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New baby for the new year
    Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 12:38pm
Hello and happy new year everybody,

I just got a new carabine for this new year, and I am in the process of cleaning it.
I will introduce it to you later, and I will probably have a few questions, but I can show you just a pic of the receiver.

This carabine was air dropped in 1944 to the french resistance in the region of the french alps.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 1:33pm
Nice, looking forward to many more pictures.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 2:50pm
I agree with Wayne. Can't wait to see more of it. 
Lightning 330
French addict View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 3:41pm
More pics

the receiver without detachable mainspring as I think it should be for the UN Quality

the inner parts, all QHMC

the recoil plate

the bolt. I am not sure that this is not a replacement part. It carry a N, and I read that NPM sent 500 bolts to UN ????

the extractor is not marked, and the firing pin is marked NLQ

the charging handle

the trigger housing

the US M1 marking

the front sight

the rear sight

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 4:14pm
I really am anxious to see the barrel maker and date (if any).
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 4:32pm
I think that the barrel is a undated Winchester

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 5:28pm
Is it operational?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 5:46pm
Yes but not in semi auto anymore, because of legal restriction.

As it is I only need my shooter's licence (and I can keep it even if I do not renew my licence).

In semi it is restricted, and I should have asked for a permit valid 5 years (but you can renew it as many times as you want).

In France, you can  have 12 restricted guns max.... so I had to make a choice.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 6:04pm
Quality Hardware used barrels from all the Government-Free-Issue barrel providers but it seems Winchester barrels were beginning to be used more frequently during the period 8-43 to 3-44 when the Carbine Expansion Program directed QHMC to obtain additional receivers, bolts and slides from Union Switch and Signal (Ref CCNL 198-2).
JackP
Mike in NC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 8:50pm
Thanks for the eye candy. Very similar in parts usage to my 4.44 million with the exception of mine having an EM-Q round bolt.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2023 at 9:15pm
That's the right way to ring in the new year! Very nice. Is there a good story on how you managed to acquire it? Very well kept/preserved.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2023 at 8:24am
Happy New Year to you and congratulations on your new Carbine!
Thanks for posting your photos.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2023 at 1:51pm
@GotSnlB28: no nice story sorry. I got it from an antique arms dealer who found it in the French Alps. This is the same dealer where I got my early Inland s/n 250XXX (his shop is a dream come true for any collector, one could stay hours looking... ans everything is just stored on the walls, you can touch/manipulate whatever you want).
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2023 at 4:32pm
I’m glad I took the time to read your post. I was just getting ready to congratulate you on your new progeny! I guess some guys really love their carbines… Wink

Nice piece! I can’t help but chuckle at the choice of “Un-Quality” for a manufacturer’s mark. Can you imagine being a soldier whose very life depended on an issued un-quality carbine? Thank goodness they didn’t live up to their namesake.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2023 at 5:22pm
Nice.....love the history....and it has a combat jump....
Al
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2023 at 8:49am
Great find! If only they could talk!? I do have a question.
Do you have a top-down picture of the bolt? Interested in the markings aft of the extractor.
And Happy New Year to you! 
GSMC(SW),USN
2/77-11/89
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2023 at 10:09am
Unfortunately the extractor is not marked.

Since the first pics I realized that the stock and the handguard are IBM (JL-B for the HG, LW-B for the stock). As it came to me like that I wonder if replacing these parts with QMC marked parts woudl be relevant (moreover, it is difficult to find a high wood stock or a stock without post war refurbishing markings). I think that it will stay "as is"... this is its story.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2023 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Oldboy53 Oldboy53 wrote:

Interested in the markings aft of the extractor.

That marking looks to be the CIP/N marking which is a European small arms safety testing proof.
Discussed in the thread below.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2023 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

That marking looks to be the CIP/N marking which is a European small arms safety testing proof.

You are right and it is mandatory now. I did not mention it, sorry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_internationale_permanente_pour_l%27%C3%A9preuve_des_armes_%C3%A0_feu_portatives
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2023 at 9:27am
Originally posted by French addict French addict wrote:

Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

You are right and it is mandatory now. I did not mention it, sorry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_internationale_permanente_pour_l%27%C3%A9preuve_des_armes_%C3%A0_feu_portatives

It is not exactly mandatory. It is only mandatory in some cases(import for exemple). One case being quite ambiguous…(in your case actually, a B-to-C category change, it is not considered as mandatory by many armourers)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>