The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy...
    Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 6:53pm
I just joined today and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Virginia. I have been collecting C&R rifles since the mid-90’s, mostly non-US rifles. I have some purchases from the CMP over the years but I did not buy a M1 carbine when they last had any. So this past year I purchased one of the Ethiopian import carbines just so I would have one example. I wasn’t looking for a valuable collector rifle. Instead I wanted something that I could shoot and not worry about diminishing its value. I received an Inland, s/n 5,275,xxx. It’s a rebuild and in pretty nice condition. I don’t think it was used since the rebuild. I only see what looks like storage marks on the stock. The metal finish looks to be original but mostly intact, some finish wear but not much. I’m sure I will have a few questions as I start to disassemble the rifle and try to identify the parts manufacturers. I have the “U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production” book by Craig Riesch that I will use as my reference. However, I’m sure I will have a few questions though.

I look forward to participating in the forum.

Regards,
Jeff
Quibbley
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 7:07pm
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 7:17pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Congratulations on the purchase of your first carbine. I predict more to come. I hope you are able to share some pictures with us.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 7:48pm
Some how to videos should you need them. Some for take down and assembly and some new ones on filling out a data sheet

Quibbley View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 8:27pm
Thanks New2brass. I will check out the videos and work on completing the data sheet.

Below is a pic of the rifle. It's a RRA rebuild with bayonet lug and updated rear sight assembly and safety. It came with a Rockola magazine. The barrel is marked:

Inland Mfg. Div.
General Motors
6-44

Quibbley
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2021 at 7:50pm
Jeff, welcome to the party. I see you are from Danville. Thats a cool town. My daughter lives there. i love going to the tank museum. That's a hidden gem. Enjoy the fun of carbine ownership. 
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2021 at 8:19pm
Welcome!  I too purchased from RTI about 9 months ago.  I got a nice 10/43 Underwood with a near mint barrel.  It is quite possibly my favorite firearm to shoot.  If you have any questions, feel free to post them, the old guys on here are like encyclopedias.  
MeLade View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2021 at 12:07am
  Congrats on your very nice M1 Carbine. I am also a new and first time owner of an Ethiopia Carbine. Mine is a base price Winchester. I found a Winchester stock and thought about putting my Winchester receiver in it. But it does not feel as nice as the pot-belly stock that it came with. The top part of the stock rattles a little after tightening the barrel band. 
         Happy, Safe shooting 
Quibbley View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2021 at 2:26am
Donnie - Small world. I agree, the Tank Museum here in Danville is awesome. I especially like the WWII German tanks. The small arms collection is pretty nice too. They have some rare and cool stuff there. 

Beezer/MeLade - Thanks. I’m still working on my data sheet. I’m almost finished. I’m waiting for my bolt disassembly tool to arrive. My top handguard is pretty loose too. Either the barrel band screw or the threads on the barrel band are stripped on my rifle. I cannot get the screw to tighten. I’ll have to research how to repair this. 
Quibbley
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image