The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member & Long-Time NPM Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member & Long-Time NPM Owner
    Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 8:54am
Greetings from Central Texas...

I can't say that I'm a collector, but I am an the owner of a National Postal Meter M1 (sn 4807621). My father left it to me in his will; he was a wire man in the Third Army 802nd field artillery battalion in WWII, was in combat numerous times in late '44 through the end of the war (he was on the front during much of the the Ardennes Counteroffensive) and was part of the occupying force up until the end of 1945. He brought this back with him after the war, along with an M2 compass (what we geologists call a "Brunton compass") and a really superb German-made trench periscope that he unfortunately sold some time before he died. The M1 has a canvas bag, what appears to be the original cleaning kit, a couple of magazines with a canvas magazine pouch, and two copies of the original manual. I unfortunately don't have the buy-back papers on it. Here are a few pictures:

The reason I'm posting here is because my wife and I are moving overseas in May of 2022 and I really don't want to take this with me. I'd also like to get it into the hands of someone that can appreciate it, and I really like how this forum is dedicated to compiling information and preserving the history of these weapons. I'd like to see if the community here can give me some idea about the value of this weapon, and help me figure out how I might sell it to a collector that will really appreciate it.

Here are some preliminary notes:
  • Stamp on the barrel says "IBM Corp"
  • Stamp in the slingwell on the stock says "TH"
  • Push button safety
  • Flip-type site stamped "S" on one side and "TN" on the other
  • Front site is stamped "SN"
  • No bayonet mount
  • Sometime in the 1980's my father had the stock finished by a pro gunsmith. There is a thin crack in the wood in the area between the magazine well and the front loop for the sling. Otherwise, the wood is in generally good shape - some dents and natural imperfections, but otherwise the wood is intact.
  • I've never fired it, and to my knowledge it has always sat in a closet in its case since my dad brought it back. Other than the refinished stock I believe it has all original parts.
Questions for the group:
  • What do the markings indicate about history, etc.? I'm not too comfortable with breaking it down to evaluate any of the workings, but I could probably do that if necessary.
  • Any idea about value?
  • What are the rules concerning sales on this site? How would I go about finding an appropriate collector?
Thanks for reading my post. Moderators - please accept my apologies if anything in my post is inappropriate, and feel free to remove it if so.

-Matt
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 9:42am
Matt, Welcome to the forum. From a distance your NPM looks great. Would love to see better close ups of the rear sight all sides, barrel band (any markings) stock sling well (imagine it is marked Trimble TN). Also would be helpful if you remove the action from the stock, very easy to do, loosen the barrel band screw, press down on the band spring on the right side and carefully slide the band forward until it clears the nose of the stock. The barreled receive can then be lifted out of the stock. would like to see pictures of any markings you can see on the trigger housing and small parts. 
The NPM/FJA and crossed cannons are the Ordnance acceptance stamp, FJA=Col. Frank J Atwood the inspector for the Rochester Ordnance District.
Also having had the stock "finished by a pro gunsmith" is not necessarily a good thing.

Edited by W5USMC - Nov 05 2021 at 12:15pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 11:51am
you have $200 worth of extras! nice looking gun--hard to say about stock but would peg it for everything 1500-2500 especially if stock fixable
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 12:07pm
Nice
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 12:18pm
Add more $$ if you have a sling and oiler.

The first 10 seconds of this video will show you how to pull the barreled receiver out of the stock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC6W2PQ04TY

Welcome and know that your Fathers service is greatly appreciated.
Many of us took interest in the Carbine because of our Fathers and their service.

VR,
Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 12:22pm
good looking carbine! Family stories are always interesting. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Dr You Dr You wrote:

Questions for the group:

• What do the markings indicate about history, etc.? I'm not too comfortable with breaking it down to evaluate any of the workings, but I could probably do that if necessary.
  • Any idea about value?
  • What are the rules concerning sales on this site? How would I go about finding an appropriate collector?

• Most of the markings indicate the sub contracted manufacturer of the part and which primary manufacturer it was for.  A few specific stamps indicate inspection and approval.  Often the markings can be used to help date the manufacturing and assembly.  Sometimes they can also be used to identify repairs.
  • In my opinion your collection would have most value to your family, those who served in the same unit, and possibly a museum - if there is one - specifically for that unit or specialty.  For example, if it still exists, the Army's museum at Ft. Hood had a strong focus on Tank Destroyers.  I think it would also be particularly valued amongst some collectors here because of its history.
  • Monetary value is probably on par with other fairly nice condition carbines that are mostly unrestored.  Like any collectible prices vary with location and other factors including how much effort and patience you have if you are seeking the high end. 
  • You can offer items or the collection (I hope you keep it together) in the for sale section. 
Allow me to mention that you may be able to take it with you depending on the county.  People do ship their firearms overseas so they can compete in matches and so forth.  Check with a company that specializes in that type of shipping if that's something you're interested in.

addendum: I personally prefer written docs with pictures, but for just removing the barrel assembly from the stock, and maybe the trigger group, this Forgotten Weapons video is probably as good as any.
It should start at 19:00 minutes.
Yours has a slightly different band but same procedure; loosen the band screw and press down on the spring.  With yours, you may want to/have to use a punch or dowel like object to push on the spring.

Edited by Matt_X - Nov 05 2021 at 1:42pm
Dr You View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 10:48am
Thank you all for your responses. Several people pointed out the serial number; I checked and it turns out I made a mistake. The actual number is 4307621.

I received several PMs about this. I will respond to them. I will also see about breaking it down and posting some additional photos for the board.

-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply