The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"New" (old) Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" (old) Member
    Posted: Sep 05 2016 at 7:39pm
I'm a US Navy Veteran (sworn in on 7/19/1975 in Portland, Oregon). I wan an Aviation Machinist's Mate Jet (read: Jet Mechanic) on J-52-P408 Pratt and Whitney Turbojet engines on the EA6B Prowler (flown by both the US Navy and the US Marine Corps). Thumbs Up

Father was a Boatswain's Mate 1st Class (passed, but not advanced to Chief Petty Officer 13 times). Dad served as a "frogman" in the Underwater Demolition Team (the forerunners to today's SEALS). He was also a member of the Navy Rifle Team. (Yes, I literally "learned to shoot at daddy's knee"). 

While I enjoy the higher-powered rifles, I really enjoy the .30 Carbine! 17 years ago I had a Universal whose front sight was tilted to the left, but still shot very well. I sold it when my wife died August 31, 1999 to make ends meet. Broken Heart Cry

In the near future, I will have a new Auto Ordnance AOM 130 M1 Carbine. While prone to being slightly "out of spec" some of these rifles turn out running rather well. I already have a plan when it comes to ridding myself of the poorly manufactured 15-round factory magazine. (I have already purchased five, 30-round aftermarket magazines from Keepshooting).

I'll be seeing you all on the Forum.

"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2016 at 10:01pm
Hope you have better luck with those mags than I did. I sent them back because of the sharp edges holding the rounds back.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2016 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

Hope you have better luck with those mags than I did. I sent them back because of the sharp edges holding the rounds back.

Sharp edges? Please expound/elucidate in consummate detail.

Thank you.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2016 at 7:11pm
Load a phew rounds and try to push them out with your fingernail. If they slide out effortlessly, the mag is OK but if not, the rounds are hanging up on the sharp edges. This will cause so called, stove piping. No amount of filing or sanding the mag would improve it. I found out I am not the onley one to have this problem with 'Keep Shooting' mags. Keep me posted.
Charles
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 1:31pm
Charles: I received a response yesterday from Keepshooting and they stated that their recent "crop" of 30-round magazines haven't exhibited any of the sharp edged "stove piping" problems you had mentioned.

If I run into these problems, I'll keep you informed.   

Wrdsmth View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrdsmth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 9:26pm
I have about a dozen magazines- 9 are 15s and 3 are 30-rounders.

Very few of them were reliable when I got them. Some came with rifles, while others I purchased outright.

I tried all of them out at the range, and marked the ones that worked best. I had one in particular that never, ever failed to feed.

I got out my needle-nose pliers and a small hammer, and worked over the openings on all the other magazines to match the shape of the best magazines I had. I constantly checked my changes by loading up 5-7 cartridges and cycling the rifle to see how nicely they fed and ejected in my USGI Carbine.

After a couple of these 'tuning' sessions, every single magazine I have now feeds flawlessly. I just assumed that this is what everyone did with their magazines...you tune them up to work nicely. It's not hard- it just takes some time and effort. It's not hard once you recognize a good one...and copy its opening shape, curves, and angles.
Writer, Hot Rodder, Racer, Life Enthusiast
Wrdsmth View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrdsmth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 9:26pm
Also - Welcome aboard, Captain O!!
Writer, Hot Rodder, Racer, Life Enthusiast
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Wrdsmth Wrdsmth wrote:

I have about a dozen magazines- 9 are 15s and 3 are 30-rounders.

Very few of them were reliable when I got them. Some came with rifles, while others I purchased outright.

I tried all of them out at the range, and marked the ones that worked best. I had one in particular that never, ever failed to feed.

I got out my needle-nose pliers and a small hammer, and worked over the openings on all the other magazines to match the shape of the best magazines I had. I constantly checked my changes by loading up 5-7 cartridges and cycling the rifle to see how nicely they fed and ejected in my USGI Carbine.

After a couple of these 'tuning' sessions, every single magazine I have now feeds flawlessly. I just assumed that this is what everyone did with their magazines...you tune them up to work nicely. It's not hard- it just takes some time and effort. It's not hard once you recognize a good one...and copy its opening shape, curves, and angles.

We did the exact same thing in Vietnam. A little pre range hand feed testing, then when they go like butter, some range time. In Nam that was usually on the other side of the road... 

Retired Army, 22 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply