The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to the M1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the M1
    Posted: May 15 2021 at 8:08pm
I have a couple of new guns but like the M1 Carbine and want one.  I did not know there would be so much to learn!!!  It reminds me of my '69 GTO Judge that I have owned since I was 19.  (I am now 61.)  I know that every part is correct--part numbers, date codes, VIN on the block and transmission, etc. 

I would like to have one correct M1 that is an example (or close) of what a GI was issued when it was new.  Restorations are fine because I would like it to look new or close to new.  Rarity is not important to me.  I would probably run 100 or less rounds thru it a year.

Do you guys have someone that restores and sells these that you recommend?  And the prices are all over the place.  How much should I expect to spend for nice correct example of a common M1?  Maybe I need to lower my standards?  lol 

I live in the Triad of North Carolina.  Are there any of you knowledgeable guys close by?  

Thanks,
Michael
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 10:38pm
Even recently, I have seen a few original examples go for under $1500 on auction sites. But easily can be $2k and up. Like with collecting anything, it's a matter of knowing where to look, what to look for, and a little luck. There are a lot of landmines out there though with fake parts and restorations. Some knowingly and some unknowingly. If you don't know what to look for it's easy to get taken. Post up a WTB here and see if something surfaces.
The latest news is Midway USA bought a bunch of Italian carbines that look promising but may have had some parts like the rear sight replaced while in service. Not sure how cheap they will be but will probably be honest.

69 GTO Judge - drool... Post up a pic!
I have a pristine '04 ("fake" GTO as a friend calls it lol).
Michael in NC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 11:55pm
Thanks, I'll need to get some help with this it seems like.   

I tried to copy and paste a pic of the car, but that did not work for me.  There is one on my facebook page if that link works.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 9:00am
A correct Carbine is like a correct GTO. Where you have to look at codes & stampings for the Carbine parts. It's the same as having to figure out: does the Q-jet have the correct roll mark and date for the Ram Air III/IV with an auto/stick? And do the alternator, radiator and distributor have the proper codes for a 69 RA car?
With the Carbine, it's very similar but harder to find the answers and you can't do it with reproduction parts. Being able to spot the reproduction parts is hard.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 9:29am
Hello from a fellow NC resident! I agree with statements in other responses- you can get lucky (I did) and find an original carbine for a really fair price,  but restorations are more common. With the restorations it may “look” original- but is not actually so. Many restorations have parts that match the maker of the carbine- BUT not the production date or subcontractor. Fake/ reproduction parts are common- particularly with the rarer parts such as flip sights, and less common manufacturers. Like your Judge- these are only original once, and restorations always leave “tells” that can be spotted. Good luck on your hunt

Michael in NC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 11:21am
I assume there are some restored guns that used the original parts or found a correct part such as another barrel from the correct manufacturer with the correct date code and markings.  I would certainly be happy with that.  I will try not to be as picky as I am about my car.  The car has been repainted and certain things replated.  

It is hard to tell how correct the guns are without lots of pictures, and I have limited time to study this.

And tenocee, I know what you mean.  For example, the Judge's carb is a 28273 (the 68 Ram Air carbs were used on RAIII's until exhausted) for a manual shift made in Dec '68 and still has the correct colored choke pulloff and correct plastic fast idle cam.  Almost all of them have had these replaced with incorrect pulloffs/cams.  
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 12:03pm
You could buy a very nice, desirable, original Carbine for the same cost as that carb. If you're patient and lucky, two very decent ones.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 1:46pm
I *think* you may be in an area where you may be able to look at a fair number in person at shows or a local store, even a chain like Cabelas. 
It would not hurt to buy a basic book.  The one reviewed here is good for this purpose.
Time frame for GI issue makes some difference.
Think about what big things appearencewise are important to you.
Such as Ord and arsenal (rebuild) stamps?  Barrel band? Rear Sight? Safety?  Stock type?
Those are the most obvious external ones in my mind.  For me, finishes are important to - I'd prefer a worn parked rather than a fresh incorrect 'bluing'.  Unless of course it was related to its postwar use.

Also keep in mind what accessories you may want.  Those can add or take a little bit of value to a purchase.  Genuine WW2 era slings, magazines, and to a lesser extent 'pockets' all add up.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 8:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image