The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range time and ammo test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range time and ammo test
    Posted: Dec 17 2021 at 7:21am
I finally had a chance to take out my '44 Underwood M1 with the new rail and Sig Romeo 5 red dot (2moa) installed. The rail is a Christmas gift from the wife. 

I boresighted the scope with a laser prior to heading out.

Ammo was my re-loads, Remington 110gr SP in front of 14.9grs of H110.

First 5 rounds were on paper at 25yds, shooting a bit high, but the group was inside a 2" square: 

I moved out to 70yds which is far as I could go. 
I had to make some adjustments to the sight at 70yds to get the windage where I wanted it.
I found shooting at a white & orange target at 70yds with a red dot to be a bit challenging, 
so I went with a black target.  

My final 10 rounds at 70yds:

The target is an 8" circle. All 10 rounds hit within a 5" circle. 
7 out of 10 are inside a 3-1/2" circle. 
Overall, pretty happy with the results. 

On a side note, I am getting much better results now than I was with iron sights.
With the iron sights, the rear sight look more like an oval than a circle which makes it difficult to get a good sight picture. 

I wear glasses and have developed a stigmatism. 
(Getting old sucks) 

Still shooting a little high, but I may leave it like that till I get a chance to shoot at 100yds. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2021 at 10:20am
Looks good. I made the same mistake when I zeroed the red dot on my one M1 Carbine, used a target with a red center.

That's the infamous "Howachester". I'm thinking of moving the rail to a new Fulton Armory Carbine and losing the quick release mount for a better cheek weld. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2021 at 10:57am
When using a red dot do you have to hold your head higher?
(I've never used a red dot or glass)
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

I have to on the current setup, this one I had no problems with

I'm thinking when I do move the rail I'll try a reflex sight instead of a red dot
JohnnyDollar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2021 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

On mine I mounted the red dot low, I hold it exactly like I do with irons.

I had tried using a Vortex Strikefire, but that one mounts too high. 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2021 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by JohnnyDollar JohnnyDollar wrote:

On a side note, I am getting much better results now than I was with iron sights.
With the iron sights, the rear sight look more like an oval than a circle which makes it difficult to get a good sight picture. 

I wear glasses and have developed a stigmatism. 
(Getting old sucks) 

Regarding the oval sight picture, I would suggest you give the rear sight a close look. I had an M1 Carbine with a similar sight picture and upon closer examination, I found the aperture was made such that the hole was parallel with the slide, rather than the sight base/receiver. I dug through my spare rear sights and found an aftermarket rear sight with the same problem. To illustrate the difference, I jammed toothpicks in the aperture of said sight, as well as a couple of original sights. One can easily see the difference (The aftermarket sight is the one in the middle)

So, the problem may not be your eyes at all, it may be the rear sight!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2021 at 8:09am
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

[QUOTE=JohnnyDollar] 

Regarding the oval sight picture, I would suggest you give the rear sight a close look. I had an M1 Carbine with a similar sight picture and upon closer examination, I found the aperture was made such that the hole was parallel with the slide, rather than the sight base/receiver. I dug through my spare rear sights and found an aftermarket rear sight with the same problem. To illustrate the difference, I jammed toothpicks in the aperture of said sight, as well as a couple of original sights. One can easily see the difference (The aftermarket sight is the one in the middle)

So, the problem may not be your eyes at all, it may be the rear sight!
Good advice, but unfortunately, in my case it's an astigmatism.
I first noticed it with my AR15a1 rear sight.
At first I thought it was just me getting an incorrect sight picture, like looking through the circle from an angle.  
Glasses correct the problem, but I have to look through them at just the right angle and sometimes I have to squint just a little to see a clear circle. 

Red dots are a problem as well, because they can look more like a paintball splat than a dot. 
I have found that adjusting the brightness helps, generally using the lowest setting for the light conditions is best. The brighter the red dot the worse it looks. 

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2021 at 8:43am
@JohnnyDollar
Out of curiosity have you ever tried covering up your non-dominant eye?
The reason I ask.
I am right handed but left eye dominant, so have always shot long guns left handed.
If I attempt to shoot right handed with a peep sight, the rear aperture always appears oval (like an egg on it's side).
That said, if I cover my left eye while shooting right handed, either with cellophane tape in center of shooting glasses or briefly place my hand over my left eye the sight picture goes round (normal).
Makes me wonder if your perhaps looking across with the other eye so to speak to compensate but don't realize it?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2021 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

@JohnnyDollar
Out of curiosity have you ever tried covering up your non-dominant eye?
The reason I ask.
I am right handed but left eye dominant, so have always shot long guns left handed.
If I attempt to shoot right handed with a peep sight, the rear aperture always appears oval (like an egg on it's side).
That said, if I cover my left eye while shooting right handed, either with cellophane tape in center of shooting glasses or briefly place my hand over my left eye the sight picture goes round (normal).
Makes me wonder if your perhaps looking across with the other eye so to speak to compensate but don't realize it?
Interesting idea, but I have always shot iron sights with my left eye closed. 
According to my eye doctor, I have most likely had this astigmatism all my life, and it's probably the reason I have always needed glasses.
The astigmatism was never really noticeable, but it's just gotten worse as I have aged. 

I read a discussion on a gun forum about a defective Eotech, the poster said the reticle looked distorted and pixelated and wanted to know if this was normal. 
He bought the sight, but returned it to the store and exchanged it for another, but they were both distorted. 
One suggestion was to take a photo through the sight and then look at the photo. 
Turns out the Eotech was only distorted when he looked through the sight, in the photo the reticle looked good. 
I have done the same test, with the same results. 

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2021 at 10:26am
Yep; have always shot with one eye closed/squinted as well, because that is what my dad did. Have on occasion attempted shooting with both eyes open.
Would be curious what you get/see, if you cover your right eye completely (not trying to close it/both eyes open) and attempt to sight with your non-dominant left eye.
It's just a topic that I got interested in sometime ago trying to teach myself to shoot with non-dominant eye (right eye in my case).

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2021 at 7:11am
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

Yep; have always shot with one eye closed/squinted as well, because that is what my dad did. Have on occasion attempted shooting with both eyes open.
Would be curious what you get/see, if you cover your right eye completely (not trying to close it/both eyes open) and attempt to sight with your non-dominant left eye.
It's just a topic that I got interested in sometime ago trying to teach myself to shoot with non-dominant eye (right eye in my case).
Left eye, right eye, the only difference is the shape of the oval is a little different. 
Both eyes open just gives more peripheral vision, but the rear sight is still an oval because you are still mainly looking through it with one eye.

Zero problems with a scope and no noticeable problem with notched sights. 

Scopes and red dots have become my friends. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply