Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recoil Plate Bedding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 10:12am
For the .578 thread, is that a stated thread size or are you measuring the inner diameter.

If the inner then I would be skeptical on how much solder will hold as the tips of the thread is not much surface area. Might blow off whatever you attach.

Depending on what you are screwing on the front you may have to make sure the center of the bore lined up with the device.

You might be better off turning a bushing and soldering on. Mount the barrel in the  lathe and center bore. Then turn to size and thread.

Just my .10 cents (due to inflation)
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 11:58am
It is possible to thread the muzzle of a carbine barrel. I had one that was. I preferred not to have it and wanted to experiment with a 16-inch barrel anyways. Had the barrel shortened and never tried any muzzle device to see how it was threaded.
tultalk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 12:52pm
Hi:

Thanks for response. I was leery about threading the carbine barrel considering the wall thickness at the end as well as ability to maintain concentricity without using a lathe. I was going to do a stress analysis but then remembered that the key was already cut into the barrel. So I decided that too much thought was beating it to death so I found an adapter whose threads major dimension was .578, closely matching the OD of the barrel. I figure I can flow silver solder into the thread-barrel gap.
Robert
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 1:14pm
Understood. There really is not a lot of room from the front of the sight to the muzzle. The one I had was threaded right up against the sight by a fellow member here that is a good friend and does good work. I just did not prefer to add anything to the muzzle and wanted a shorter barrel anyway. He cut it back, machined the diameter to spec and relocated the key recess. It was a shot-out Inland barrel bored and chambered for 9mm, so there was no concern over removing a makers mark. 

Maybe a Plainfield barrel would be a better candidate for threading as the sight is set back farther from the muzzle.
tultalk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2023 at 4:30pm

Can't tell right now how far back the sight is. There is a muzzle brake silver soldered on the barrel and up against the sight and I don't have a depth measuring tool.

Robert
tultalk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tultalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2023 at 1:12pm
Ordered a pilot and 1/2" x 28 die so I can make an informed decision either way when I get the brake off. Can't measure actual OD of barrel until then.

Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12