Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw S’G’ 1833716

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Z28Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw S’G’ 1833716
    Posted: Apr 01 2023 at 10:45pm
Hello all,

I’ve recently become in possession of 1833716. The Gunbroker ad listed it as a Saginaw location built firearm and were originally unsure if it came from CMP as it was missing its certificate of authenticity. Towards the end of the auction they edited the listing posting the original receipt 

Upon doing some research of the serial number, I stumbled upon this forum as Jack had my carbine in his lists. What I saw was that this carbine had serial numbers before and after listed as a S’G’, but mine listed as a SG? Citing a CMP auction link. 

I was absolutely ecstatic finding out that perhaps Gunbroker mislabeled this firearm in their description and that I found a S’G’ carbine from CMP. Upon winning the carbine I immediately filed a FOIA request and contacted the CMP. FOIA turned up empty handed from the army but I was able to get an official letter from CMP for my records stating it was a service grade rifle. 

Now that the carbine is in my possession I have coated the stock in raw linseed oil as it is very dry. I have a WWII sling on order as well as a mint condition 1943 Mag Pouch. Otherwise this carbine will stay in its current configuration from CMP. I am proud to own this S’G’ carbine as I worked at the Grand Rapids GM plant as a contractor a few years ago. 

Z28Ray

Edited by Z28Ray - Apr 01 2023 at 11:10pm
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2023 at 10:10am
Thank you for posting. It is seldom that we actually connect a carbine from the CMP Completed Auctions site to it's new owner. A link to this thread will be added to the IP/Saginaw Grand Rapids Serial Number Spread Sheet showing that this is a Grand Rapids carbine and not Saginaw as originally stated in the CMP Auction description.
JackP
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2023 at 10:45am
Nice!

Someone here will know more about the stocks CMP was using at that time.  My guess is that its a newish replacement made at the time and was not dunked in raw linseed oil (as the originals were).  It looks very nice in the photos.  
My suggestion is feed it raw linseed oil for a while - especially the end grain. 
I apply it with a small brush (like an acid brush) and my fingers. 
That way the only rags that have to be dealt with are the ones used at the very end when removing excess.  As always, lay those rags out to dry, preferably on metal or masonry.  Never compact or place in a closed container.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2023 at 12:31pm
I believe it was Boyds/Dupage stocks.
If I remember correctly there were fitment issues with the Boyds stocks and sent to Dupage to correct.

I think the handguards are easy to tell from USGI from the inside. I do not remember how boyds marked the stocks
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2023 at 1:29pm
New2Brass's memory is better than most....CMP started using Boyd stocks when they ran short of GI Garand stocks.   But for some reason, Boyd could not, or would not inlet the Garand stocks properly! CMP sold them "as is" and told buyers that the stocks would need some inletting. Ridiculous, exasperating and crazy!

Jim Yocum of "Dupage Trading" offered to correct the Boyd stocks, and he did. CMP's contract with Boyd ended at some time, and Dupage Trading properly manufactured the Garand stocks for CMP.

When CMP began bringing back Carbines from overseas, there were initially enough stocks...but when CMP ran short, my understanding is that Dupage got a contract to make Carbine stocks.

I worked at CMP as a volunteer for a week at a time, a few times every year, on both Garands and Carbines, but I never actually saw a Dupage Trading carbine stock. If we encountered a broken, cracked, or missing stock, we put carbines in a tri-wall box awaiting a supply of stocks.

My guess is, after I moved to CA in 2009 and stopped volunteering at CMP, the Dupage carbine stocks were assembled onto carbines as needed. I have no idea if CMP had started using their CMP "cartouche" at that time.

That's the best answer I can give you.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
Z28Ray View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z28Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2023 at 3:18pm
Thank you for all of your expertise. I did open the stock to put a coat of oil inside the channel. I was able to find a B stamped on one side so I would imagine it is a Boyd’s stock. 

Link for pictures: https://imgur.com/a/cOrpHC4

I did notice some of the finish was missing on the slide. Reading these posts I may need to see if there is some contact being made. 
dmgfour View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmgfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2023 at 4:54am
I was a lurker on that auction.  Nice catch!
I want to die like my grandfather: peacefully, in my sleep... not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2023 at 7:48am
And the pics are gone.

Z28Ray View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z28Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2023 at 10:48pm
I didn’t think there was much to show other than the CMP letter at the time.

I did end up finding a tiger striped M2 stock and a GI handguard in great shape to put on. 

Edited by Z28Ray - Apr 07 2023 at 11:06pm
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Z28Ray Z28Ray wrote:

I didn’t think there was much to show other than the CMP letter at the time.

I did end up finding a tiger striped M2 stock and a GI handguard in great shape to put on. 

All photos are useful.  More so when they are of items that are less common or less well documented,  such as the CMP stamped stock.  When photos disappear from a thread, the thread loses a lot of value.   

As Jack wrote:
"Thank you for posting. It is seldom that we actually connect a carbine from the CMP Completed Auctions site to it's new owner. A link to this thread will be added to the IP/Saginaw Grand Rapids Serial Number Spread Sheet showing that this is a Grand Rapids carbine and not Saginaw as originally stated in the CMP Auction description."

So another thing the photos did was to see what CMP sold and correct the information.  This clarifies an area of historical inquirery as well - which is the occasions IP/S'G' serial numbers were built at the Saginaw plant.
 Post Reply Post Reply