Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw S'G' with S.G. Serial Number

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CavemanMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw S'G' with S.G. Serial Number
    Posted: Oct 21 2022 at 11:52am
Hello Everyone,

I posted my carbine about 8 months or so ago that I had recently acquired. Since then I've tried to do a lot of research about it and I have a question I was hoping to get an answer on.

My carbine is 95% made of parts from Saginaw S'G'. It also has 2 parts stamped IP (mag release - IP-W, and rear sight - B-IP). The only part marked S.G. is the barrel which is stamped SAGINAW S.G. DIV. GENERAL MOTORS.

What is interesting is that despite the receiver being marked Saginaw S'G' the serial number is assigned to Saginaw S.G. What I think I've put together is that this gun was ready to assemble in S'G', but their contract with the US government expired. They sent the complete gun kit to S.G. and they slapped their own barrel onto it and stamped the serial number in.

Does this seem like the path my gun took? I'll attach the data sheet if it helps.

If this is the case I think it's pretty cool because who knows how many carbines were made like this and how many still exist in what appears to be all original condition.

Here's some more pictures if interested:  https://imgur.com/a/9moHaf2

Thanks everyone!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2022 at 2:49pm
There have been many reported S'G's in that Saginaw serial range. Page down to table G on the below link for more SG vs S'G' info.

And if you have not already done so please submit the requested info in the thread below.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply