The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions > Ongoing Research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Select Fire M1A1/ M2A1 para

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpigott271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Select Fire M1A1/ M2A1 para
    Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 11:13am
I am sure this has been asked but I can't find a direct answer. 
  Is there a select fire version if the paratrooper carbine?
 Some sources say yes others say no.  Others say there were field modified versions. 
    I have a paratrooper stock with the selector switch cut out and all of the other markings in the proper places but no 'OI' in the barrel channel. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 11:26am
Page down to the "And Beyond" section of the link below.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Mpigott271 Mpigott271 wrote:

I have a paratrooper stock with the selector switch cut out and all of the other markings in the proper places but no 'OI' in the barrel channel. 

Does the selector cut and bridge inside show signs of being done after manufacture?

There are commercial M1a1 stocks that have the selector cut. Maybe post pictures of the markings.
thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 12:37pm
Common practice in Vietnam throughout services. Original Para stocks, I dont believe were factory relieved for the switch, so they were modified. Popular in CIA ops there as well as, and beyond that time frame. Lots of Lads used and seen this and brought these ideas home. Even seen a couple of M2's in Para stocks in Afghanistan in 2003. Cheers JB
Mpigott271 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpigott271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 12:42pm
some pictures as requested. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpigott271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 3:23pm
I would say yes.  The former location of the bridge is not level with the rest of milled fore stock.  Both areas looked like they were done long ago. 
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 5:41pm
Well that’s far from the typical hack job you see. Does the rest of the stock appear authentic? The hardware, wire buttstock, etc?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 5:53pm
Hmm, I have never handled a Springfield Armory replacement stock.
Any of the M1a1 guys know how to tell them from the OI stocks?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpigott271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 6:46pm
Yes, all of the marks are correct; P, AAS rebuild stamp, OI and cannon on the bottom of the pistol grip. The metal parts are in accordance with the ".... And Beyond " section as well as the book, "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Prodution."
    There is a comment in that book that states in part, "These are not correct military issue."
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 7:22pm
I have seen and handled multiple “M2a1” stocks. All of them appeared to me an after production modification. I know several were IO stocks and both highwood and low wood, I’m unsure if any were SA stocks.
 Post Reply Post Reply