Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Storing USGI magazines loaded?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storing USGI magazines loaded?
    Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 11:04pm
All of my AR 15 magazines are loaded and stockpiled in my safe. I exercise them about once a year, and there seems to be no issues with this method of storage as the springs are under constant compression. Is there any problem storing original USGI 15 and 30 round magazines in a Ioaded condition? I hope to be able to secure more 15 round magazines to stockpile the 30 Carbine ammunition I am loading. Any direction would be greatly appreciated...
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 3:23am
This is a subject of much debate in some circles. Personally, I would not recommend storing M1 Carbine magazines loaded for extended periods.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 7:23am
Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

This is a subject of much debate in some circles. 

That is absolutely true. You can find pro-n-con discussions about this all over the place. I generally don't load mine up to the top. Usually keep a couple partially loaded. I do know that is some cases, a fresh magazine can be fully loaded and allowed to "soak" for a while to weaken the spring, which results in a better functioning magazine. People will say that the springs will never weaken under compression and the only way to impart fatigue is thru the cycling of the spring, but I fall-out on the side that placing the spring under full compression forever can't be good for it.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 9:32pm
I've seen the debate in a few places over the years. One discussion involved an engineer on my website who went into great detail about the physics involved, and that it should not hurt a magazine spring. Didn't make sense to me...

I have two magazines that seem to have spring fatigue, and I've had and seen others. I keep very few magazines loaded. I do have a few handgun magazines that have been fully loaded for many years, most notably for my HK P7M8, and they are as strong as ever, in my opinion. I also know of a Sheriff's Department in Michigan who had problems with springs weakening in their Springfield Armory XD magazines. So, maybe it has to do with heat treating, or something like that, but I err on the side of keeping them unloaded.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 9:52pm
Thanks David. I have plenty of loaded magazines for my 1911s and ARs, I think I'll give my old M1 magazines a rest. Any recommendations on replacement magazine springs for 15 and 30 round magazines, or will get pillaried because I might be altering an original item with a new part? My USGI magazines are not pristine, I have two originals that have been Parkerized that I use on the range and a NPM 15 rounder that really could use some attention, but I'm not sure if re-bluing will devalue the magazine. I have a local smith that does wonderful work and he has offered to rework two of my USGI magazines.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 10:08pm
I have not checked for M1 Carbine mag springs, but Wolff Springs would be the first place I would check for any replacement springs.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 10:10pm
Replacing springs is ok to do from a collector's perspective? Just save the old ones?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 10:12pm
I think it's fine. Others may disagree. Save the old one, and you can't go wrong.

Wolff has them. Here's a link:

Wolff M1 Carbine Magazine Springs

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 10:34pm
Outstanding! Thanks. I was just about to head to the web to look up Wolf. Great timing... LOL!
 Post Reply Post Reply