Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toy Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2016 at 4:57pm
Unfortunately Larry doesn't do internet. He has an allergic reaction to computers and keyboards. Carried over from his allergy to typewriters. His wife is often his human computer interface device. This said, these handicaps do not affect his ability to document where he gets his information. He doesn't make a statement with specifics like this off hand.

I think if he was asked for his sources for this information he would have provided them. From the answer quoted I suspect this question wasn't asked.

The color photographs of the toy carbines in War Baby III were taken by me at Larry's home. Since my focus was thousands of photographs for Larry I didn't get into the details of many of the items photographed. I recall the Parris-Dunn trainer as well as having a conversation about it. The conversation has been lost in the overwhelming amount of information I tried to absorb on the various trips to Larry's to shoot more photographs over a number of years.

My suggestion is call or write him and ask him where he got his information indicating this toy was made by Parris-Dunn, his source for when they were made and any other questions you'd like to ask. Larry's a very helpful guy and if he can't answer it off hand he'll research it and get back to you.

The uniform of the soldier in the photograph might be a clue as to when it was taken. I was never in the military. Those 4 hash marks indicating he'd served over 12 years, his CIB with the small number of ribbons and identifying the somewhat odd patch on his shoulder might be of assistance in narrowing the picture down to a particular time frame. If his name is known I may be able to locate records of when he served.

Jim
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2016 at 10:22pm
sleeplessnashadow,

Thanks for the reference to War Baby III. I had not seen the toy photo before. It looks the same as my friend's toy Carbine, except for the front sight.

I will ask my friend to continue the conversation with Mr. Ruth.

My reservations are based on my inclination to challenge the status quo on such things, based on several instances where doing so resulted in the status quo being proven wrong, and whole new chapters being written on subjects that others had declared closed. We'll see what happens. Mr. Ruth may have irrefutable proof that its a Parris-Dun manufactured toy Carbine.

I agree that the uniform is the main clue in the photo. I will need to make a high quality scan of the photo to determine if any more specifics may be determined.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2016 at 12:09am
David, two things.

Questioning the source of something is wise, for the reasons you indicated. Rather than have reservations about the source, asking for the source to address the reservations is what I was referring too. Larry keeps that kind of info and doesn't get specific if he doesn't have a source for the specifics. All one need do is ask.

Some people let their ego get in the way of asking them for their source. It's been my experience Larry isn't one of them.

Second thing, I had my daughter and her husband take a look at the photo. Both were U.S. Army with him being a disabled vet with ongoing experience and contact in that realm. He does the newsletter for his infantry division. Army to the core.

The 4 hash marks are not service marks for total time in service. Service marks are angled. These are straight. They indicate time spent overseas and represent 6 months each. He has a Combat Infantryman's Badge above his ribbons, though it's not real clear. If a clearer photo of the ribbons can be obtained he can probably identify what they were for.

The ribbons may include campaign ribbons that will indicate what war and theaters/areas he served in.

Jim
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2016 at 7:23pm
My reservations about Mr. Ruth's assessment are being presented to him by the owner of the recently discussed toy M1 Carbine. I'll let you know what I hear.

Here is a close-up of the uniform decorations:

In the meantime, here is what I know for certain:

- This soldier was in the U.S. Army, rank of Private, with 2 years of overseas service (I would think he would be a higher rank after 2 years, but so be it)
- He has a Combat Infantryman Badge

Here is what is not present:

- He does not have a Korean War Service Medal from the Republic of Korea, which began being awarded in December, 1950
- He does not have a U.S. Korean Service Medal, which began being awarded in November, 1950
- He does not have a U.N. Korea Medal, which began being awarded in December, 1950

Based on the fact that he appears to be stateside, and if he had been away at the Korean conflict for 2 years, I would think that at least one of the 3 Korean medals aforementioned would be present. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the ribbons are not present.

Here is what I think, based on analysis of the ribbons and other decorations on his uniform.

- I can't identify the ribbon in the top position - It could be an Army Good Conduct Medal, but I think that is the one in the left position
- The medal in the left position appears to be an Army Good Conduct Medal, which began to be awarded in 1941
- The middle ribbon appears to be a WWII Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, which began to be awarded in November, 1942
- I can't identify the ribbon in the right position

Army Good Conduct Medal Ribbon Photo:

Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal Ribbon Photo:

He also does not have a WWII Victory Medal, which began being awarded in July, 1945.

Some ribbons listed below appear similar to some of the ribbons on his uniform, but I was able to eliminate them based on when they began to be awarded:

- Meritorious Service Medal - Began in 1969
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal - Began in 1961

I'm fairly certain this photo was taken during WWII. If it was, then the production information presented by Mr. Ruth about these toy Carbines in the late 1940’s should be reconsidered as to its merits, and revised appropriately.

I welcome your input and analysis.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2016 at 7:43pm
I heard back from my friend, who asked Mr. Ruth for any documentation on the toy M1 Carbine. Here is what Mr. Ruth said:

"I purchased this toy from a collector that I have known for over 25 years,
(name deleted). He had done the research on the toy but I have no
documentation, and I had no reason to doubt his word."

Based on the analysis I performed of the photo above, I believe this toy was made during WWII. I welcome any debate or support of my analysis. Please weigh in with your comments.

Based on Mr. Ruth's research details, while I respect his respect for his friend's word, I must say that his friend's assertion about the toy appears invalid. I believe the statement in War Baby III that this toy was made by Parris-Dunn in the late 1940's is disproven by the photographic and physical evidence.

Your Thoughts?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2016 at 8:22pm
The information from Larry is inconclusive without proof. It's value is as a possible investigative lead on where to look or who to go to for more information.

That the uniform of the soldier depicted in the photo suggests the uniform is consistent with that of a soldier during WWII, there is no evidence that it wasn't taken after WWII but before the war in Korea.

With the info we have there is no evidence to support the toy was or was not made by Parris-Dunn. While the default assumption can be it wasn't because there is no proof it was, the flip side of this is there is no evidence it wasn't. Parris-Dunn marked their training rifles and drill rifles, this carbine does not have their markings. This does not mean they didn't make it. It means it doesn't have the markings Parris-Dunn used on others they made.

A good research project for someone to prove or disprove with evidence either way.

Jim
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2016 at 9:07pm
The uniform of the soldier depicts a soldier with the rank of Private, with 2 years of overseas service. It appears to depict a WWII campaign ribbon, without a WWII Victory ribbon. That appears to place it within WWII. If the picture were taken in the late 1940's, with the aforementioned ribbons, the likelihood that this soldier would still hold the rank of Private is unlikely, particularly with the presence of a Good Conduct ribbon, and also considering how far the Army shrunk in size following the war. If the evidence I present from the uniform photo is considered feasible, then it depicts a soldier's photo taken during WWII. If you wish to refute the uniform evidence I have presented, then we may have a different discussion.

Yes, Parris-Dunn marked their training rifles. I have 3 of them in my collection. While certainly not conclusive, it is strong circumstantial evidence of the likelihood of branding. Paris-Dunn also used stickers on some of their rifles. No sticker remnants remain on the sample rifle, and none are apparent, or mentioned in coverage of the same type of toy rifle in War Baby III.

I challenge anyone to research this further. I will welcome any additional, original research, and also any opinions based on the existing, or new evidence. Without the willingness to challenge previous assertions based on evidence, forward progress will be missed in our collecting genre.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2016 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

newsletters 105, 204, 291, 337 talk about an "Official Army Reject" marked stock, Also known as the Marlin Jr. Stenciled in Gold or yellow paint if I recall correctly.
Something to the effect of what to do with all those leftover stocks? So they made the mechanism as you state and a dowel for the barrel/receiver.

A carbine collector piece now.

there is a thread here somewhere talking about it. Maybe someone can chime in, No access to Newsletters right now.
 BTW, Welcome to the forum!

I found a photo of the "Genuine Army Reject Carbine Stock" marking that you referenced earlier in this conversation.

Does anyone have any additional comments on my analysis of the uniform, toy Carbine, and the comments by Mr. Ruth?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:00am
Carbine Club Newsletter # 105, page 5

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:04am
Courtesy of the GunBoards Forum

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:08am
Unknown Source

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:12am
Yet another ...

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:17am
Carbine Club Newsletter 204, page 5

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:23am
Carbine Club Newsletter 291 pages 5-7

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:33am
My photos ....

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:35am
Carbine Club Newsletter 331, page 1

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:42am
My photos.....

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 2:58am
Who exactly Emergency Equipment Company in Grand Rapids, MI was is a good research project for someone. Current online corporate records do not go back that far. They are not listed in the patent database, which does go back before WWII. They are also not listed in the U.S. Trademark database which also precedes WWII.

As noted in Newsletter 291, Marlin supposedly used Marlin stocks having Marlin markings.

I do not know where each of these author obtained all parts of their information. I do not know where Brophy, someone highly reliable, obtained his information. How much of anyone's information ws 2nd hand as Larry Ruth was is not known to me. Larry's info wasn't an assessment it was 2nd hand info. Not indicated as such in his book. Often the only source we have is someone else's words. Which obviously isn't proof.

As to the photograph of the soldier in uniform, I leave that to others far more knowledgeable than me. I have no military background. I cannot render any opinion as to when the photo was taken based on his uniform.

Uniforms aside, this series of newsletter articles and the photographs I posted show not all were marked with the info of rejected, not all were marked with patent pending and/or Emergency Equipment Co.

At face value thie set of pics directly above, it does appear to be a genuine M1 Carbine stock. It has no markings. I apologize the pics weren't better. They were my first visit to Larry's years ago. He owns this one.

I'm not into toys, I'm overwhelmed with what I do already. I do have pics of other full size "toys" of old should they be of interest. I leave this to others with a parting photo...

Jim

Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 9:52am
Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

The uniform of the soldier depicts a soldier with the rank of Private, with 2 years of overseas service. It appears to depict a WWII campaign ribbon, without a WWII Victory ribbon. That appears to place it within WWII. If the picture were taken in the late 1940's, with the aforementioned ribbons, the likelihood that this soldier would still hold the rank of Private is unlikely, particularly with the presence of a Good Conduct ribbon, and also considering how far the Army shrunk in size following the war. If the evidence I present from the uniform photo is considered feasible, then it depicts a soldier's photo taken during WWII. If you wish to refute the uniform evidence I have presented, then we may have a different discussion.

Yes, Parris-Dunn marked their training rifles. I have 3 of them in my collection. While certainly not conclusive, it is strong circumstantial evidence of the likelihood of branding. Paris-Dunn also used stickers on some of their rifles. No sticker remnants remain on the sample rifle, and none are apparent, or mentioned in coverage of the same type of toy rifle in War Baby III.

I challenge anyone to research this further. I will welcome any additional, original research, and also any opinions based on the existing, or new evidence. Without the willingness to challenge previous assertions based on evidence, forward progress will be missed in our collecting genre.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Does anyone wish to refute the evidence I have presented in this thread about this M1 Carbine toy being manufactured during WWII?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 7:03pm
David

"Refute" is a bit too adversarial for me. I'd like to see a researcher take this one on in an attempt to find a primary source of evidence as opposed to varying opinions on supportive evidence.

Finding primary evidence is sometimes simple but sometimes appears impossible. It can take a lot of time and commitment. I'm swamped with all the things I'm researching or I'd devote time and effort to this one. So many questions, so little time. We do what we can.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>