Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TRIVIA QUESTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2023 at 8:57pm
Midnight requisition?
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2023 at 9:08pm

Here is a better photo of the USMC #10 drift slide on M1903 Springfield SR 1,430,582.  Saw it for sale last weekend at an auction I attended.
Louis Losi View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 4:06pm
The 1903 Springfield rifle USMC front sight required a different sight cover. This information is from the December 1974 American Rifleman.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 8:09am
THUMB TRIGGER MODEL 1903 SPRINGFIELD RIFLE
This article, written by me, appeared in the November 1990 issue of THE GUN REPORT.

Edited by Dan Pinto - Mar 13 2023 at 9:32am
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2023 at 7:38pm
WEAPONS TRIVIA
Identify this item and it's purpose.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2023 at 7:41pm
Big smile
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2023 at 1:15pm
A clue to solving this weapons trivia is, this item would lessen casualties during WWII and the Korean war.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 3:42pm
Another clue to solving the weapons trivia.
The pictured item is used with the Model 1917 and Model 1919 series of .30 cal. tripod or bipod mounted machine guns.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 7:23pm
Link Leader starting tab, used for loading belt fed ammo. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2023 at 7:26pm
Yup! I had an M1919a4 semi auto and used one of those on my link belts.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2023 at 5:43am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Link Leader starting tab, used for loading belt fed ammo. 
You are correct. With the starter tab on the belt of cartridges, the starter tab is inserted into the left side of the receiver and as it is being pulled thru from the right side of the receiver, the cartidge belt will align itself allowing the action to be manually cycle, enabling the weapon to be fired. All this while in the prone position. Without the starter tab, the top cover would have to be raised and the belt manually aligned in the receiver. This means raising oneself from the prone position to accomplish this. During combat, this means exposing oneself to enemy fire.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2023 at 12:33pm
.30 CAL. BROWNING MACHINE GUN TRIVIA
Identify the part, and it's purpose, seen riveted to the lower front edge of the left side plate. The lower front edge of the right side plate has the same part.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2023 at 7:08pm
Are you talking about the pivot plate where the machine gun mounts into the carriage and the mounting pin goes through?
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2023 at 8:14pm
I guess I should call it a pintal mount plate.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2023 at 12:13am
@Jim,
I spent most of my time trying to be sure he meant the 2 holes in the bottom forward corners.
Louis is Tricky, I wasn't sure if he might mean the front metal plate the front sight sets above Stern Smile
I agree with your answer. There is also that combo cradle that fits Bi-Tri mounts and holds the ammo can, not sure but it might be a later design or for the .50 Cals. I'm reaching now.........

**** Browning M1919A4 .308 Win. and .30-06 converted by Allied Armament to semi-automatic. Originally made at Saginaw by General Motors, this belt-fed Browning was restored and converted by Allied Armament. Now wearing serial number 171, it includes two barrels (.308 and .30-06). A host of included features include tripod as well as handgrip/bipod configuration, crank and extensions.****

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2023 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

I guess I should call it a pintal mount plate.
You are close, the part is actually the mount adapter. But what is the purpose of the two mount adaptors on either side of the 30 cal. BMG receiver.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2023 at 5:26pm
Pintle Pads to act as spacers between the mounting Pintle and adding strength to the corners when cross bolt is tightened.

My best WAG..

Charlie-P777 

Living Free because of those that serve.....
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2023 at 5:47pm
To reinforce the frame so holes won't elongate and wobble.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2023 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Pintle Pads to act as spacers between the mounting Pintle and adding strength to the corners when cross bolt is tightened.

My best WAG..

Charlie-P777
You are correct, but for the wrong reasons. The mount adapters, pintle pads, are spacers for the pintle but have nothing to do with adding strength. The actual answer is the two mount adapters, pintle pads, allow that part of the .30 cal. Browning machine gun to be the same width as the .50 cal. Browning machine gun, allowing both machine guns to use the same pintle. I'm uncertain if it was a cost saving measure or for logistical purposes, or both.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2023 at 7:00pm
You mean "Ma" could not just wear a girdle ?

Hmm, that pintle looks different than mine, which I am told is very early. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>