Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type 1 Dog Leg with GI stamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type 1 Dog Leg with GI stamp
    Posted: Oct 20 2022 at 6:20pm
Does the dog leg still retain value for collectors and why did they get away from using them? 
Sorry, a picture is not available.  
Lightning 330
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2022 at 6:40pm
Yes, if legit, a dog leg hammer can be considered collectible and quite valuable. 
The dog leg hammer and the shorter hammer spring was replaced with the Type III (straight) hammer and longer hammer spring to improve trigger pull.

Edited by W5USMC - Oct 20 2022 at 7:14pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2022 at 7:45pm
Thanks for the reply. It looks legit and I will try to get pictures sent. The G is clear, the I could be worn at the bottom. Meaning it looks like a T? So the change was more for trigger pull? Or did it also include the mods for safety as well with the bolt changes and firing pin etc.?  
Lightning 330
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2022 at 8:08pm
Modification Work Order (MWO ORD B28-W1) directed the change and this particular MWO only applied to the hammer and spring. Purpose of modification: To reduce the trigger pull. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2022 at 9:43pm
Steve, check out this thread. Which letter style do you have?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/inland-hammer-marked-gi_topic1233.html
JackP
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2022 at 6:37pm
Hi and thanks Jack. Lettering is serifs and the I is worn and looks like a possible T? I did send you pictures and maybe you can post them. I just am not having any luck. Sub-contractor I assume but the question always remains. Is it a possible? More pics needed I'm sure, but that is all I have without a purchase. Many thanks to all that have chimed in.  Steve
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply