Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very early I cut oiler?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very early I cut oiler?
    Posted: Mar 10 2017 at 5:23pm

Just a heads up, in my searching for oilers I came across a listing for what was described as a very early I cut oiler for a carbine.  The description was based on Larson’s  M1 Carbine Comprehensive Guide.  With the help of CCNL’s #5 and Marty’s article in #133 I was able to identify it was actually made for the M2 Hyde-Inland sub machine gun.  In summary for those who haven’t seen the article, these guns had a short duration in 1942-1943 and cancelled after adoption of the M3 "Grease Gun" in 1943.  With that info I found them for sale at elsewhere at a more reasonable price and figured I might as well get one for show and tell.   Larson’s book stated there were reports of some being marked IS and by golly this one is. 

Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2017 at 7:12pm
Interesting...There were a couple reports of those T-top prototype oilers in early Carbine Club newsletters, but I had never seen one myself. The ones reported were unmarked, and never - to our knowledge - used on production guns.

The generic IS marking didn't happen until spring 1943 or so, after International Silver asked the Ordnance Department to permit this. 1942 and early 1943 oilers were blued/dulite and marked for the manufacturer - II, IW, IN, IQ, IR, ISP, IN.

Regards, MB
Marty Black
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2017 at 11:34pm
I have a friend who has an M2 Hyde Submachine Gun. I wonder if he has an oiler...

I also own the original patent paperwork for one of Hyde's earlier projects, the Hyde Model 35 Submachine Gun. Here's a link to an article I published about the weapon in 2006, in Small Arms Review Magazine, if anyone has any further interest in Hyde's work.

https://www.smallarmsoftheworld.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1697&CFID=2691852&CFTOKEN=70580873&jsessionid=8430c8e5e7753c108162213d62647f667b19

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
RedSpecial View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 7:23am
I found a couple of those, bought them for no reason thought I may fit in th I-cut stock, but they don't.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1386&idcategory=0
-Neil
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 8:26am

That’s where I bought mine.  As you found out first-hand, Larson’s M1 Carbine Comprehensive Guide, is wrong about these being for the I cut carbine stocks.   Mine appears to have the flat rubber gasket.  Just wondering, what gasket is in yours and is any marked IS? 

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 8:58am
Larson's book is best used as a doorstop in my opinion. While I can't say it's totally factually incorrect, it has more than enough misinformation in it to dismiss it for anything other than a source of pretty pictures.
 Post Reply Post Reply