Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WINCHESTER COMMERCIAL M1 CARBINE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WINCHESTER COMMERCIAL M1 CARBINE
    Posted: Jan 02 2023 at 4:08pm
The photo is from WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS COMPANY-Its History & Development from 1865 to 1981 by Herbert G. Houze. In late 1945 Winchester considered producing a sporterized version of the M1 carbine for commercial sales. The idea was dropped due to a conflict with goverment control of production rights. The one pictured was produced and perhaps others. Has any of these Winchester commercial M1 carbines been reported?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2023 at 8:01pm
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5600/WinCommercial_2023-01-03_01-01-25.jpg
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 9:41am
Just wondering if LR may have one in his collection??
Glenn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 10:02am
Glenn, I can say for sure that Larry did not have one in his collection.
The one I shared above was from the Olin museum which most of that collection is now at the Cody museum.

note both pictures that the wrist, forearm and nose of the stock is shaped different to the  typical Winchester carbine stock
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 10:20am
Any idea of what was used to instead of the type II barrel band?
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 2:25pm
My WAG on the band:  a Type 4!

It looks as if there's a machine screw going up from the bottom of the forend.  If a band was made with a closed bottom, a bolt hole, and a nut welded above the hole, that would probably work.  
Louis Losi View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 2:45pm
Is there a picture of the heel markings of the Winchester commercial M1 carbine at the Cody Museum?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Quietus Quietus wrote:

My WAG on the band:  a Type 4!

It looks as if there's a machine screw going up from the bottom of the forend.  If a band was made with a closed bottom, a bolt hole, and a nut welded above the hole, that would probably work.  

I think you are correct
I seem to remember something similar on the William 1 of 50 in the LR collection. Its number two if anyone is interested.
 Will see if I have a picture. They used Fajen stocks and this may be pictured in the Williams books, If Louis can look up?

As to the Winchester Commercial, Think that was the only picture I have of it.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2023 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Louis Losi Louis Losi wrote:

Is there a picture of the heel markings of the Winchester commercial M1 carbine at the Cody Museum?

the rear of the receiver looks to have no markings. Tough to say given the angles of the pics
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2023 at 8:18am
The Williams 2 of 50 that is part of the LR collection is nothing like the Winchester Commercial.

Only picture of the barrel band. Though different, I think the method of attachment is the same.

Louis Losi View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2023 at 5:14am
Williams refers to the latest barrel band as the "inside barrel band".
 Post Reply Post Reply